As the clocks ticks forward and the calendar marks October 11, I’ll be one year older, and perhaps a year wiser. A birthday calls for celebration and some sort of reflection on the years passed… and well, of course I couldn’t pass up on that opportunity! Though in all honesty, as this new year is upon me, it still takes me by surprise to think about what this past year has meant for me. It’s been a year of so many firsts.
Just to give you an idea, this year….
- For the first time, I started to call a place other than Chicago, home
- Started my first full time job
- Signed a lease for my first apartment
- Tried thai food… and actually liked it for the first time (LOL)
- Learned to cook myself edible meals (obv. for the first time)
- My dreams became a reality, and for the first time, I wouldn’t change anything about it
Obviously this is just a short list, but this year has been so different from the past. In ways unbelievable to me, even now, I’ve grown. I’ve learned, but most importantly, I’ve been challenged.
Being 1800 miles from the place that I’ve grown up calling home has been a unique experience, both with and without it’s challenges. Distance has been tough, but has helped make some of my most important relationships stronger and better, and I wouldn’t have it any other way.
While the last 365 days have been good to me, I’m excited to see what this new year brings. Cheers to being a year older, and wiser!